Jill Update

The purpose of this weblog was to keep Jill's family and friends current on her treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Jill passed away on January 20, 2013 after a 10 year battle against the disease and the side effects of her many treatments. This blog will now serve as a memorial to Jill. Please feel free to add your comments and thoughts.

Name:
Location: Columbia, Missouri, United States

Monday, April 28, 2008

Gaining strength

Over the last week, Jill regained some of the strength she lost during her stay in the hospital. She is now receiving much lower doses of the drugs she takes to reduce the graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). One of these, Prednisone, has the side-effect of reducing muscle mass. She is working hard to rebuild her muscles by walking and keeping active. She is also enjoying Sylvia's home cooking. They are also getting outside to enjoy Seattle's pleasant spring weather.

This weekend Jill's brother Harley and his family (wife Amy, daughter Elise and son Will) are planning a trip out to Seattle to visit Jill and Sylvia. This will be the first opportunity for Jill to see her nephew Will. I will also be there and will take some photos to share in a future posting.

tom

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jill,

I received an update from your brother with "Team in Training" saying that you could use extra prayers and support. When I started reading your story, my heart just went out to you and your family.

What caught my eye was that you were on your third transplant, an accomplishment that most people never get to. I can relate to what you are going through, because I too went through 3 bone marrow transplants. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with you because I know it is a long road, but believe me, it is worth it.

It's was 4 years ago on April 26, 2004 that I completed my final tranplannt!!! As I was reading your dad's update that you were trying to regain strength, I can tell you I struggle with that everyday :-) I was on a high dose of dexamethazone for over a year, where I just couldn't keep any muscle on, I even had a hard time getting up off the toilet! Slowly but surely it came back though. It's an amazing journey you are on, but there are so many angels guiding your way. It's amazing the different people you meet, and you always seem to meet someone who makes you stop and think that you are so fortunate to be doing as well as you are!

I read that you recently were able to get out of the hospital after several weeks in it - isn't that the most amazing feeling!!! I had a couple of times where I was months in the hospital, and I remember just looking up at the sky at just how beautiful everything was. Taking that first beath of fresh air was the most amazing feeling... I could go on forever, but what I wanted to say was that we are praying for you and supporting you.

Sometimes, it's a long raod, but I love the song that says it best - "The good Lord gave us mountains, so we can learn how to climb..." I believe its circumstances like these that make us that much stronger, and it brings our family that much closer together.

I had my transplants at MD Anderson in Houston, TX and I have 2 nephews who were 4 months and 2 years old at the time. They always had a way of brightening my day and bringing out the inner child in all of us!!

I hope you have a blessed day today, and your road to recover goes well.

Love with Attitudes of Gratitude, Ashley
meyeraa@yahoo.com

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home