Jill Update

The purpose of this weblog was to keep Jill's family and friends current on her treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Jill passed away on January 20, 2013 after a 10 year battle against the disease and the side effects of her many treatments. This blog will now serve as a memorial to Jill. Please feel free to add your comments and thoughts.

Name:
Location: Columbia, Missouri, United States

Friday, July 15, 2011

Something to talk about

So, finally I thought of something to write. Sometimes, at bedtime, to fall asleep I listen to my ipod. Last night the first song that came up was Alive by Pearl Jam (I-I-I-I I'm still alive). I thought that was pretty good. The second song was No One Else by Soraya (I thank the Lord I'm no one else). Another good one. The third was goofy, but I though those first two songs were good thinking for falling asleep.

And I did think about those two songs because they sum up a lot of what I feel about my cancer journey. I am so thankful to be alive and I am very proud (for the most part) of who I have become through all of cancer's challenges. I don't know if people know that I feel thankful for my experiences through my treatment, but I do. I sometimes get very frustrated with the side effects of my treatment, but the journey has made me such a better person.

As you might have noticed, I am feeling better. Over the last couple of months I have been dealing with some fatigue, trouble breathing and pain. Today that seems to be resolved. I had gone down on one of my immune suppressing medications and I began having trouble with my lungs. A couple of weeks ago I had over a liter of fluid drained off my left lung. That helped my breathing but I began having pain on my right side. After a bit of a rollercoaster my doctors decided that I was probably having some graft versus host disease again and yesterday I went back up on my immune suppressant. Voila! No pain, better sleep and less fatigue.

Can I just say that I had no idea what pain does to a person. Over the past month I have been relieved of pain twice and both times I was much nicer to be around. Don't underestimate what fighting pain takes away from you. I really hate pain relievers and still avoid them like the plague but pain needs to be dealt with. It can really change a person's outlook, personality and sanity.

So, happy days ahead. In a couple of weeks I'll be heading to Canada for a little over two weeks!! That means a full week in Saskatoon and in Moose Jaw. I should be exhausted by the end but VERY happy to have spent time with my family. I love you guys!! Can't wait to see you. And in September I will be heading to Seattle for my next 6 month check.

I hope you all are having a wonderful summer. Take care and avoid pain!! Jill

P.S. Turbo is splint free and healing well!

2 Comments:

Blogger AK Lockwoods said...

So happy to hear you have felt some pain-free days lately. I have some chronic pain also, and it is truly like a cloud lifting when it is gone. Yes, it sneaks up on me too, but sometimes that unexpected "Hallelujah" moment is worth it.

I think of you every time I see a beagle. Or a goat. Or a little red pick-up. Or a rockclimbing wall. Thankfully, I see those things often.

Have a fantastic time in the homeland!

7:39 PM  
Blogger AK Lockwoods said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home