Jill Update

The purpose of this weblog was to keep Jill's family and friends current on her treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Jill passed away on January 20, 2013 after a 10 year battle against the disease and the side effects of her many treatments. This blog will now serve as a memorial to Jill. Please feel free to add your comments and thoughts.

Name:
Location: Columbia, Missouri, United States

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Up, Down and All Around

Aackkk! I can't think of anything fun to post. We have had a very nice spring here in the middle of Missouri-a rarity. Usually we skip straight to summer from winter, but this year temperatures have been moderate since March. I'm very thankful.

Parents are good. Mom was able to make a rush trip to Canada for the hospitalization of a family member and the funeral that followed. Dad will be busy with travel this summer. Harley and his family will visit at the beginning of June-not so long from now, come to think of it. Kishka and Turbo are well. Turbo recovered quickly from a neck strain and is happy to have had a change in his food. Kishka has been longing to go outside and is a little bit freaked once she's there.

Sadly, I lost two people I care a great deal about to cancer in the last couple of months. It is a brutal and merciless disease. The only consolation is that these two are no longer suffering.

And I am as I always am; up, down and all around. My spirits are good, and my body is giving everything it's got. I looked back over my records since my last post to see what I have been up to (I tend to forget these things pretty quickly). I had about a liter and a half of fluid out of each lung, started on a research protocol for GVHD in my lungs in St. Louis (because I have had trouble breathing), and began treatment for the lymphedema in my right arm (backed up lymph fluid that causes swelling)in March. April was good healthwise. I continued with lymphedema treatment, had no fluid drained from my lungs and felt very well. May started out well but I ended up with cellulitis (an infection) in my right arm. I have had to take time off from lymphedema treatment and let it rest from the bandages and sleeve that keep it in check, so some of the swelling has returned. I am on four antibiotics now and my body is protesting. I look forward to getting off those and back to a more normal diet.  So the rollercoaster continues and I'm holding on,trying to make the best of the ride. Life is good.

I hope all of you are well and that you enjoy your summer (or winter if you're in the southern hemisphere!).  Jill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home